The environment is our friend. It protects us from the harmful void of space and provides us with the resources we need to survive, day in and day out. When environmentalism hit the political stage in the early ‘50s, it evolved into a movement that is still prevalent in today’s society.
According to Wikipedia, the Environmental movement is “a diverse scientific, social and political movement” that is “represented by a range of organizations” and includes “a younger demographic than is common in other social movements.” Children of the Millennial Generation (1980s – early 2000s) grew up with concern for the environment as an integral part of their lives; according to this 2011 study by PewResearchCenter, the Millennials support stricter environmental laws, believe human activity is responsible for global warming and favor environmentally friendly policies.
These Millennials are have entered the work force (the eldest is 35 this year) and are assuming prominent roles as managers and leaders in their respective industries. So it’s no surprise that there is a global move towards eco-friendly and environmentally friendly practices in the office as well as out of it.
If your office is making the move towards an eco-friendly environment or if you’d like to make the change, read over our tips and tricks for making your workplace the earth’s best friend.
Reduce Energy Use
- At the end of the day, turn off lights, computers, anything that uses electricity
- Use natural light – artificial lights account for over 40% of electricity use in office buildings.
- Install motion sensors
- Unplug machines to prevent “phantom power” or “standby power” drains
- Set monitors to power off instead of switch to screen saver
Reuse & Recycle
- Use both sides of the paper
- Replace disposable water cups with reusable one
- Don’t buy stuff you don’t need
- Put all recyclable materials in the recycling.
- Bring used ink cartridges, old electronics and other harmful wastes to the proper disposal location
Stock up on Environmentally Friendly Products
- Recycled paper
- Refillable ink cartridges
- Non-toxic highlighters
- Reusable/refillable pens
- Replace paper towels with hand towels
- Think before you print
- Create a shared drive for meeting documents
- Put to-do and task lists on digital cloud/platform (Trello, Google Tasks, etc.)
Employ water-saving strategies
- Fix leaks
- Install restrictors
- Purchase a water filtration system (read the other benefits of installing a Naturizzata sparkling and chilled water filtration system in your office here)
- In the bathroom, reduce amount of water per flush by placing a brick in the toilet’s tank OR install water-saving toilets.
Clear the air
- Environmentally friendly cleaning products eliminate harmful substances and odors.
- Put green plants in the office everywhere to create better air quality.
Promote carpooling & transit
- Encourage employees to carpool with each other to reduce traffic jams and exhaust emission.
- Encourage local employees to take transit or bike/walk to work.